This engraving, published in the newspaper l’Illustration in 1882, represents the facade of the new head office of the Comptoir d’Escompte de Paris, as seen from Boulevard Poissonnière and rue Rougemont.
Imposing, the facade has a majestic entrance lobby, crowned by a belfry with several bells and a clock. 3 Statues of Millet decorate the building’s main lobby. They symbolise Finance, Prudence and Trade. 5 medallions representing the five continents top the finance allegory and remind the visitor that the Comptoir d’Escompte has already developed its presence around the world.
A new head office adapted to the needs of the CNEP
Since 1851, le Comptoir d’Escompte de Paris has been headquartered in the Hotel Rougemont located at 11 rue Bergère in Paris, not far from the stock exchange. With the growth in business activity and personnel, the bank found itself cramped and decided to completely rebuild its head office. Consequently, it initiated this work. The CNEP entrusted the designed of the building to Edouard Corroyer, student of Viollet-Le-Duc, who had previously directed the restoration of Mont Saint-Michel. The work began in 1878 and was completed in 1882. This new building made a splash and its modernity was especially hailed in the contemporary press.