This photo shows the safety deposit box room in the Banque Nationale pour le Commerce et l’Industrie (BNCI) branch, located at 7 rue Soufflot in the 5th district of Paris Located in the basement, this well-lit and modern looking room, contains 400 safety deposit boxes lining its walls.
It is also equipped with a table and chair for customers as well as a stool that makes it easier to access the upper rows of compartments. In most of its main agencies, the BNCI offers to safely store its customers’ precious assets, jewels, securities, etc. Furthermore, it promotes this service via promotional posters.
A changing network
Starting in the 1960s, the Banque Nationale pour le Commerce et l’Industrie (BNCI) modernises its network. The objective? Always do a better job of meeting customer needs and to improve their comfort. This involves the total transformation of the interior decorations of agencies. Light coloured wall and floor coverings replace the wood, while neon lighting replaces the old brass lamps. The counters and grated dividers are replaced by offices and chairs. Likewise, the facades are changed to open large bay windows and let more light into the agencies. Moreover, between 1950 and 1965, the BNCI strengthened its presence in and around the capital. It went from 33 to 80 bank branches. This movement amplified starting in 1967 with the elimination of regulations concerning the opening of bank branches.
Consequently, new agencies were opened in Antony, Chatenay-Malabry, Epinay-les-Cygne d’Enghien, Saint-Ouen, Villetaneuse and Créteil in the Paris suburbs and the Latin Quarter, Boulevard Exelmans and Cité des Arts in the Capital.