In 1904, le Comptoir National d’Escompte de Paris (CNEP) opens an branch in Troyes. This postcard, dating from the period 1910-1920, shows the front window with the traditional aesthetics typical of 19th century shops. Open onto a travelled thoroughfare, the branch’s facade is embellished with a black and gold sign stating the company name, its corporate name and its capital. One can read on it “société anonyme au capital de 200 millions de francs entièrement versés” (limited company with capital of 200 million francs fully paid-in). This promotes an image of an established reputation and seriousness for the company. On the black panels, the public finds a list of the transactions offered.
The CNEP sets up in industrial and commercial towns across France
After its liquidation in March 1889, the Comptoir d’Escompte de Paris was reborn two months later in the form of a new limited company under its original name of Comptoir National d’Escompte de Paris. Under the prudent management of Alexis Rostand, the CNEP set out to build a national network. Comptoir agencies spread in each district of major cities, in each town, near money warehouses, in major financial markets. Agen, Dijon, Dunkirk, Lyon, Marseille, Montpellier, Nantes, Perpignan, etc., the CNEP expanded its activities each time the situation was favourable. Such that by 1909 the CNEP has the 3rd largest national banking network, behind Crédit Lyonnais and Société Générale. This expansion aimed to harness the savings of French people and meet the growing credit needs of companies.