This photo of the facade of the major branch of the Banque Nationale pour le Commerce et l’Industrie (BNCI) in Abidjan, in the Ivory Coast, was taken in 1962 after its renovation. The building is modern in style.
The BNCI’s facility in Abidjan goes back to 1940. France was then in a difficult political and economic situation following the 2nd World War, which pushed the BNCI outside of France. The Vichy government forbid it to open new office in metropolitan France. And at the same time, it experienced considerable growth in its unemployed resources, due to the economic downturn. This context led the bank to develop its presence in sub-Saharan Africa and North Africa. Consequently, it established offices in Saint-Louis du Sénégal, Brazzaville, Pointe-Noire, Bangui and Douala and took control of the Banque de l’Union Nord-Africaine, renamed BNCI-Afrique.