This photo taken in 1965 shows the “coupon booths” of the Banque Nationale pour le Commerce et l’Industrie (BNCI) branch in the Bourg-La-Reine, in the Paris suburbs. It lets counsellors receive customers in greater privacy. Four offices in a row separated by glass partitions and chairs furnish this part of the branch.
A changing network
Starting in the 1960s, the Banque Nationale pour le Commerce et l’Industrie modernises its network. The objective? Always do a better job of meeting customer needs and to improve their comfort. This involves the total transformation of the interior decorations of agencies. Light coloured wall and floor coverings replace the wood, while neon lighting replaces the old brass lamps. The counters and grated dividers are replaced by offices. Likewise, the facades are changed to open large bay windows and let more light into the agencies. The BNCI sets out with determination to win new customers.
Moreover, between 1950 and 1965, the BNCI strengthened its presence in and around the capital. It went from 33 to 80 bank branches. This movement amplified starting in 1967 with the elimination of regulations concerning the opening of bank branches. This way the banks were able to open neighbourhood agencies in the major urban areas to support this new urbanisation.
Consequently, new agencies were opened in Antony, Chatenay-Malabry, Epinay-les-Cygne d’Enghien, Saint-Ouen, Villetaneuse and Créteil in the Paris suburbs and the Latin Quarter, Boulevard Exelmans and Cité des Arts in the Capital.
Photo of Studio Chevojon