This engraving, published in the journall’Illustration in 1882, represents the lobby of the new head office of the Comptoir d’Escompte de Paris, the part that serves as a transition between the floating entrance and the atrium. This space is decorated with robust columns and neo-Byzantine style mosaics.
A new head office adapted to the needs of the CNEP
Since 1851, the Comptoir d’Escompte de Paris (CNEP) has been headquartered in the Hotel Rougemont located at 11 rue Bergère in Paris, not far from the stock exchange. With the growth in business activity and personnel, the bank found itself cramped and decided to completely rebuild its head office. Consequently, it initiated this work. The CNEP entrusted the designed of the building to Edouard Corroyer, student of Viollet-Le-Duc, who had previously directed the restoration of Mont Saint-Michel. The work began in 1878 and was completed in 1882. This new building made a splash and its modernity was especially hailed in the contemporary press.