In 1958, the Banque Nationale pour le Commerce et l’Industrie (BNCI) opened a a sales office in Hong Kong, so it could develop information and liaison activities, but not carry out banking operations.
Consequently, it transformed it into an branch on 1 October 1959. Here is a photo taken around 1965 showing the facade of the branch. A white sign indicates in French the BNCI’s company name. The bank’s presence in Hong Kong met its need to expand the base of exporting companies in its business portfolio and its desire to compete with the Banque d’Indochine.